Tuesday, September 29, 2009

A New Found Appreciation!

Dr. Wilcox’s session experienced firsthand last week of what the online classroom can do with a technical issue. I personally have never used Elluminate and have only one previous experience with an online class, which made me never ever want to sign up for another one again. Due to the fact that I felt like a got nothing out of the experience, I didn’t learn much at all because I wasn’t be taught, and in the end I thought it was a waste of money.

The first week experiencing Elluminate did in some ways change my mind set towards online classes. Soon thereafter, experiencing this past week’s session I have come to a realization that there is nothing compared to being in the actual classroom. The interaction alone is what makes up part of the classroom experience for me. Now with the Elluminate session you can interact with one another but it’s hard when you can’t see your classmates or professor or have to wait your turn to use the mic. I like the fact that I am able to collaborate with my peers during class just in case I miss something or wasn’t following along exactly with the professor. Actually being in the classroom is so crucial, especially when you are having an issue where there is a need for assistance. I don’t ever really think I have ever really appreciated my experience in the classroom until Tuesday night when I found myself trying to figure out Sumo Paint having the worst time. I can say for the first time I was wishing (and a little bit of praying) to be in the classroom.

I know that Kelly talked about face to face vs. online class but I just wanted to get your experiences that you may have had with a online class, either positive or negative and some suggestions that you think will enhance the overall online experience.


4 comments:

  1. Oh Nina!!! You have know idea how I hate on-line classes (or maybe you do lol). The fact is on-line learning can never replace physical interaction in the classroom. "Due to technical difficulties" will always be a concern to on-line classes, which can be so annoying!!! The worst that can happen in the classroom is you either show up or you do not!

    Logically, the principles in which education was founded upon was based on student-teacher interaction. As time went on and technology changed, people found ways to make things more difficult, yet convenient. The world today is so lazy and tries to figure out how to do things fast. My reasons for this is: people are more rushed for time, they are lazy, and looking for ways to do things that are convenient for them.

    Whoever came up with on-line learning had a couple things in mind: fast-learning, fun learning (or so they thought), a way for teachers to step back from their job. At the rate technology is going, "teacher" will be an obselete term, but the funny thing is, teachers love it. I can just say that I hope all the education I want, I can have it by the time this new technological wave takes place!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to hate online classes, because every online class I had taken incorporated no interaction between students or with the teacher (at another institution). So far, I have loved every online class at JMU. Elluminate is a wonderful program! I wish more courses were offered via Elluminate.

    Personally, I believe the time it takes me to get to class and a lot of what goes on in the class is a waste of my time. I can learn almost anything by myself, but demonstrations are helpful to decrease time commitment to learning the given task, which can be facilitated through Elluminate.

    Don't get me wrong though. There are certain classes that I would have hated to have online, like MATH (not one of my strong subjects).

    I think a combination on online and seminars is ideal, but every person has a different learning style/preference, so it should be a choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. From a personal preference stand point I like Elluminate. I like having class online because I can be in the comfort of my own room, and I don't have to rush to class from work.
    However, I do agree with the fact that sometimes when we are trying to use an application away from the classroom and something is not working it is hard to explain why something is going wrong. If we were in class Dr.Wilcox could come over to our computer and tell us if we are doing something wrong or if it is the computer.

    I know that everytime we are working on sumopaint that my computer cannot open pictures. If I was in the classroom I would have no problem opening an image. At the same time though, the fact that Dr. Wilcox can show her applications it helped me see how to do things, even though I couldn't get it to work on my computer.

    I don't think face to face classroom teaching will ever fade because there is that bonding that students need to have with their peers and with their professor to really make the class feel like a class. Bonding is very hard to accomplish through a computer.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nina, I'm so sorry to hear you were frustrated by this type of experience. I think your blog post brings up a good example of how we work with many types of learners! You seem to find the face-to-face interaction more meaningful. There are some learners that find face-to-face interaction more intimidating, and therefore don't participate or engage in the learning material as much if they could communicate over a computer. Now, I understand that all people need to be able to communicate in a face-to-face environment; but in this day-of-age we could say the same thing for an online environment. We’re needing to communicate so much more through email or webchats or instant messaging. Nina, you just highlight a great example of how we are working with all different types of learners. I wonder how we can continue working to improve the environment for all?

    ReplyDelete