Friday, September 23, 2011

iPads for Learning

Can the iPad be used for applications more instructional than Angry Birds or Words with Friends? Many say yes. Schools, universities, and workforces are using iPads to deliver learning content.

A school district in Maine has recently spent $200,000 to provide an iPad for every kindergartener. Many of the school’s third graders are not reading at their grade level, so the school is hoping the iPads will boost the reading skills of the upcoming classes. One teacher explained that the iPads give instant feedback and attention to her students, something that is more difficult for a teacher to do with dozens of students. The school plans to test the reading and math skills of the kindergarteners in November and the scores should show whether the iPads have had a positive or negative impact (Cohen, 2011). To read more of the news story, click here: http://www.necn.com/09/12/11/Kindergarteners-get-iPads-for-school/landing_scitech.html?blockID=563064&feedID=4213. Here is another interesting article about the effectiveness of toddlers using smartphones and iPads for elearning: http://abcnews.go.com/Technology/parent-debate-ipads-smartphones-teach-toddlers-read/story?id=13626381.

Universities are also turning to iPads in class. Rutgers University has teamed up with Apple to create an MBA program in Digital Marketing that uses the iPad. Students still attend normal lecture classes, but all the course content is put on the iPads provided to the students. A student can view the syllabus, notes, and videos used in class directly from the iPad. The program hopes to successfully blend instructor-led learning with e-learning. The director of the program, Eric Greenburg, says, “Our hope is that the iPad can extend the classroom learning beyond the walls of the classroom and even the hours of the class…We see the future of education as a network of peers and individuals all communicating and sharing information with one another” (“First iPad University Course,” 2010). To read more of Eric Greenburg’s interview, click here: http://theelearningcoach.com/elearning2-0/first-ipad-university-course/.

But where do we draw the line? Do you think kindergarteners can responsibly use iPads to improve their reading and math skills in the classroom? I can understand how iPads can be effective tools to address individual needs and supply instant feedback, but I think there need to be definite rules and guidelines about the type of use and amount of time allotted for the children to use the iPads. At times I feel as if I am too connected and dependent on technology, so I wonder how healthy it is for young children to be tied to their iPad already. The article also failed to mention whether the iPads will stay in the classroom or if the students can take them home after school. I think using the iPad in kindergarten classes will only work if the iPad is used solely as a supplemental tool. Kindergarteners need to learn the basics of reading, writing, and math first without the iPad. I support Rutgers University’s use of iPads for their Digital Marketing program and can’t find any flaws with the blended format. I think iPads can be great learning tools with older students in high school and college, but I'm not convinced yet with young children. I am eager to see whether research will show that iPads in elementary classes actually boost test scores. What do you think?

Also, could the use of iPads in schools and universities be a sign of the times? Do you think giving iPads to school-aged children demonstrates that learning in our society will soon be dominated by e-learning? Have you ever used an iPad for e-learning whether in a classroom or for work training; was it effective?



References

Cohen, E. (2011, September 12). Kindergarteners get iPads for school. NECN. Retrieved from http://www.necn.com/09/12/11/Kindergarteners-get-iPads-for-school/landing_scitech.html?blockID=563064&feedID=4213

The eLearning Coach. (2010). First iPad university course. Retrieved from http://theelearningcoach.com/elearning2-0/first-ipad-university-course/

7 comments:

  1. I found this topic really interesting! I love the whole E-learning thing but your right you have to draw a line somewhere. There are some really smart kindergarteners and I'm sure once shown the proper way to use an iPad as a learning tool, they could really benefit from it but it should definitely be some restrictions on the device. For instance they should only be allowed to stay on the learning tool application and there should be blocks on everything else that may cause a distraction such as games etc. I agree with you on the statement that you made about them becoming dependent on technology. If they began to start early with this, it could be a problem, children will look to the iPad for everything and block other important learning instruments out. They should definitely know how to read and write before being introduced to an iPad as a learning tool. It's a great idea for college students and I believe it could even be great for kindergarteners but there need to be certain restrictions and guidelines in place first.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with KeyNita, this is a very interesting and relative topic. Now even the ETMC has iPads you can rent. I'm not sure how I feel about the kids learning from them either. I think it is a very useful tool but I think I agree with you in that there should be a limit to how much they are used, and whether or not they should be one of the main tools to be used for learning. They are most definitely a sign of the times though. Last year when my three year old cousin sat on Santa's lap at the mall, he asked for an iPad! He uses my aunts all the time but while all the other kids were asking for trucks and barbie dolls, this 3 year old wanted some expensive technology! It's crazy to think how much our world is changing, and although these tools can be used to help enhance learning, there does truly need to be a line set to not be crossed.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with Marissa. The blended e-learning and lecture method for graduate level work is appropriate, but I am unsure kindergartners and ipads. I wonder if this is just a "let's use technology because it's out there and it's new" motivation. In theory the instant and individualized feedback for these 5 years learning to read is great and maybe some kids who were not excited about reading will become excited because they are learning on an ipad, but I have a lot of questions too. First of all, how much money is allocated to the public school budget in Maine? That is so much money. My other questions were the similar to Marissa's; do the kids get to keep the ipads at home? To help them constantly learn I would think the answer is yes, but these ipads are school property and 5 year olds are not known for their responsibility. Like Keynita, I wonder what other programs will be on the ipads? Just school related ones? Will the school be able to block nonacademic apps? How distracting will the ipads be for the kids? I am very curious to see how this turns out. I hope this kindergarten class reads at level and other grades can catch up. I am concerned about what this increased use of technology will do to kids like everyone else has commented, but will this even make a difference? In modern society everyone seems to be addicted to one form of technology or another cell phones, computers, video games, the internet, household appliances, etc. Children growing up now are just getting a jump start on technology dependence, in my opinion. If the ipads are only brought out during one section of the day and only used for reading and writing, for example, I don't see how they are different then when my elementary school class went to the computer lab to play games that helps us with math.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Reading this post and going through the sites you provided was very interesting to me. In my Educational Technology class this summer, we discussed many of the points that you went over in your posting. iPads and other forms of new technology are spreading more and more each day. Even just walking around Memorial I see signs saying, "ETMC now had iPads for rent," or I talk to my professor who said he is doing everything for his classes through is iPad this semester. Technology has its many advantages, but I do believe that is comes with disadvantages as well. I think the idea of all the Kindergarden students getting iPads is a little much. My parents say our generation has become to reliant on technology, and I do agree with them in some ways. I think Kindergarden students do need to learn the basics of reading, writing, and math first before they learn it through technology. I think something like this is definitely more useful in college classes as opposed to elementary ones.
    My mom's sixth grade science class was chosen to pilot "Mobile Learning Devices" or MLDs last year. Each student was given a device that looked like a cell phone but didn't make calls or send text messages. It was basically used for an internet source and access to the teacher's postings and assignments. Although this sounds very useful, it actually was more of an inconvenience for my mom. She said her students would constantly misplace or lose the devices, some were slower than others, some wouldn't be charged when needed, etc. This ended up taking up classroom time and unfortunately ended up being a disadvantage rather than an advantage to her classroom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a striking mobilization right now of education jumping on the E-learning bandwagon. Things like Ipads make distance learning more available to the masses because they are more affordable than laptops and more mobile than desktop computers. The classroom seems like a very appropriate place for technology like Ipads; they have an e-reading application (functioning as a book when needed), Ipads can be written on with a stylus and serve as a notebook, they can be typed on like a computer to format and complete assignments and projects, and with a camera and mic they are great for face-time distance learning.

    My greatest concern is the fact that the Ipads are being used by kindergartners. If a single University is spear-heading the use of Ipads in an MBA program, why have we decided that kindergartners are the next biggest group that would benefit from technology in the classroom?

    While the classroom is evolving and easy to use technology is finding a relevant and convenient place in the classroom, I think we will begin to see a huge gap in socialization and communication competencies should we begin "plugging in" children as young as kindergarten. Sure, Ipads are fun for learning and extracurricular activity, thats what makes them so amazing, but I would hate to see children with their eyes and fingers on an Ipad all day and missing out on other learning experiences.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ok...so each kindergarten student is receiving a $600 ipad when some schools can't even afford textbooks...something is wrong with this!!

    Of course there are the questions of whether the kindergarten students are using it responsibly and if they are getting more instant feedback, but my main concern is outside of the classroom. Maybe the poor reading level has nothing to do with the teacher or the classroom setting. I know when I was a small child, I learned to read at home, and the classroom exercises only reemphasized my home learning. I believe technology can be beneifical obviously since I am making digital instruction my life work currently, but there has to be a limit. I personally believe that technology is making us less personable and more detached. Also, the family dynamic is quickly becoming obsolete. Maybe instead of getting your child an ipad, maybe you should sit down with him or her and read the child a book. Modern culture no longer encourages the parent-child learning processes. This might sound like a rant, but I believe the idea of giving a kindergarten student an ipad is ridiculous.

    On the other hand, ipads might be useful at the college level, but requiring a student to purchase such an expensive item for a course or even a program seems ridiculous. Not even every student owns a computer. That is why there are college libraries with computer labs. I think the technology should stick with the most universal applications and software in the classroom. Technology is suppose to help, not replace real learning and education.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I just found a great article that attaches a PDF for teachers to explore a wide variety of assistive technology apps that I believe would be GREAT in classrooms! I currently work at the Va. Department of Education's Region 5 Training and Technical Assistance Center (T/TAC), located on JMU campus, and I know that our assistive technology coordinator meets with teachers and administrators regularly to discuss apps to use on ipads that would best serve children with different learning needs. These iPads are being widely used for children with disabilities, and from what I've heard from my coworkers who work closely with teachers and these students, they are superb tools that increase learning and motivation for students.

    Here's a ton of different assistive technology apps, compiled into one PDF:

    http://ipadacademy.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/iPad_Academy_iPad_Assistive_Apps_List.pdf

    ReplyDelete